We are hiring a new head brewer for the spring of 2023. Canada's oldest organic, on-farm brewery is seeking a head brewer to take over daily operations in this small, focused and innovative rural brewery.
Position: Head Brewer at farm-based brewery
Salary, minimum 2 year contract
Our team of four works together to make consistently great beers in a supportive yet independent work environment. We're as passionate about equality and sustainability as we are about our product.
The head brewer is responsible for brewing, managing and kegging every batch in a fully hands-on 10HL on-farm organic brewery. She or he will plan brews following established recipes, oversee yeast management and propagation, inventory management and grain handling (including spent grain).
She or he will also assist with sales and basic administrative tasks. Work is varied, rewarding and team-oriented in this innovative brewery with strong dedication to organic practices, quality brewing and social justice.
On-site housing is available at a subsidized rate. Access to free farm-grown food depends upon the worker being involved in the garden and farm (optional).
Position is full-time starting March 1 or sooner.
Application Deadline: Jan 30, 2023
Hours: 5 days/week in the brewery
Location: Sorrento BC
This is a physically challenging position. Worker must be able to lift 50-80 lbs, work 8 hour days at physical labour involving lifting, bending, and so on. Outdoor work will be done in all weather.
- Brew on a hands-on manual system:
- manage fermentation, transfers, dry-hopping and fruit additions
- ongoing quality control
- traceability record-keeping
- fill & clean kegs & growlers
- cleaning and sanitizing all tanks and equipment
- Admin assistance – take orders, reception, assist with tours and sales
- Events/markets - assist with events and farmers markets as needed
- work is completed on time
- sanitation levels maintained or exceeded
- paperwork is accurate, legible and filed properly
- records and communication maintained well
- a happy and fun workplace
Specific skills & qualifications:
- Must have professional brewery experience & desire to work in a rural area, in an on-farm brewery
- strong understanding of fermentation, food packaging and food safety, sanitation & cleanliness
- ability to work quickly while maintaining high standards
- creative problem-solving
- enjoy working hard
- must be computer literate: experienced with Word, Excel (or equivalents).
- enjoy rural environment
- drivers license and your own vehicle (the brewery is rural, there is no public transit)
- Serving It Right license required
- good time management skills, ability to work some flexible hours if needed
- Forklift or tractor experience
- First Aid training
- Database &/or accounting experience
- interested in working in a cooperative & consultative environment
- meticulous, detail oriented
- high level of communication skills and experience with group process
- able to track multiple projects and still stay focussed
- able to stay focussed and interested in repetitive jobs
- creative, imaginative and yet logical!
- good with public
Crannóg Ales is Canada's first on-farm organic microbrewery, founded in 2000. We are a manual brewery, working hard to minimize our ecological impact while making great beer. The brewery is located in Sorrento, BC, just a few minutes walk from Shuswap Lake. The farm is run by the brewery owners, and grows hops for the brewery, chickens, pigs and sheep and a large garden. Brewery and farm work are partially integrated. We are leftist activists with a strong sense of social responsibility, we eat what comes from the farm (meat, eggs, fruit and veg), we are very involved in the organic movement, and we enjoy creativity (painting, writing, music and fibre arts are all part of our lives). We are a feminist workspace, welcoming people of any gender identification (we're much more concerned with skills and values and physical ability). Our location is on the gorgeous Shuswap Lake in BC's southern interior region. It's a popular vacation destination both summer and winter for lake activities, hiking, cycling, skiing, dogsledding and more, as well as a strong organic farming community with great variety.
We strive to create a safe space for all.
Please contact us with any questions.
706 Elson Road, Sorrento BC V0E 2W1